Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Make him an offer he can’t refuse

Soon after I arrived in Lecce my cousin Melina offered me her guest room instead of living in the apartment the university has found me. It is completely self contained with en suite bathroom and all the mod cons.

Her offer is very generous but three months is a long time. Paraphrasing Janet’s mum Ruth, “Unwelcome guests are like fish in the sun. The longer they stay the worse they smell”. I don’t know if I quoted her correctly but you get the picture.

I’ve decided to accept her offer. I hope I don’t turn into a smelly fish and outstay my welcome. My rationale is this.

The apartment and its location are great and the price is definitely right. It would be a great place to stay with other people.

The problem is living alone. It means the only Italian I use when I am not at the university is tourist Italian – food, drink, shopping, transport, asking directions. I am already good at that stuff. It is not what I need.

Melina and her family speak very little English. Living there I would be immersed in the complexity of every day Italian in a way that is not possible living alone and forcing me well and truly out of my comfort zone.

The half an hour walk from her house to the university is a small price to pay.

Besides she is a wonderful cook. Her orrechiete con cime di rape today was fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment