Friday, January 28, 2011

Scottish theme bars in Lecce?

I’ve taken to exploring Lecce’s music scene and given that this is a city of fewer than 100,000 inhabitants the music scene seems to be a very lively one with young people filling venues late into the night.

Cover bands of American and British rock are very popular. Lecce is probably too small to be on the circuit for big rock acts so if you want to hear the music played live then cover bands are the go. So far I’ve seen the Doors and Bon Jovi. The musicians have been good and the performers entertaining. I look forward to finding some Italian music.

And to date I haven’t seen any evidence of binge drinking. All the venues are bars and they also serve food. People sit around tables eating and drinking before the bands come on at around 10.00pm. Italians eat late and young Italians eat out, so they go out for a meal with their friends at a bar and then take in some music.

And what is it with Scottish theme pubs in Lecce?

Two of the venues I’ve found are Scottish theme pubs. The William Wallace Pub and the Scot’s Lion bar. The William Wallace is where I saw the Bon Jovi band. Lots of dark wood, flags of St Andrew’s cross, and medieval soldiers’ helmets and chain mail. It served Scottish beer on tap and Mexican food. Maybe Scottish food was a bridge too far.

Not a Scot to be seen. All Italians, I was the only tourist and I didn’t look like one.

Next on my list is jazz and blues at Scot’s Lion next Wednesday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment